The purpose of the eSense Study is to evaluate two online psychological programs (cognitive-behavioural therapy and mindfulness-based therapy) that address sexual concerns in women. Both programs have been found to be effective for women’s sexual concerns when administered in face-to-face programs. However, because many women lack access to these face-to-face interventions, it leaves the majority of women with sexual concerns unable to access the care they need. Over the past three years, our team has adapted these treatments to online delivery in a program we call eSense. eSense can be accessed from the privacy and convenience of your own home. Our eventual goal is to make helpful treatments available for many more women. Recruitment is now closed for this study as of January 1st, 2023.
Eligibility Criteria: Women (trans or cis) of any sexual orientation who:
- are 19 years of age or older
- are fluent in English
- have no visual impairments
- are computer literate and have access to a computer with Internet capabilities
- are in a committed and stable romantic relationship of 6 months or more
- have been sexually active over the preceding 4 weeks and have a willingness to engage in sexual activity with your partner during the study
- experience difficulties with low sexual desire or arousal
- are able to participate in an 8-12 week online treatment
What is involved?
- An initial screening that will take place over the telephone.
- Completing an 8-12 week online treatment.
- Virtually meeting with a treatment navigator weekly. Navigators will provide encouragement and answer practical questions.
- Completing online questionnaires at 3 time points:
- Prior to starting the program
- After completing the program
- 6 months after completing the program
- Access to eSense will be provided free of charge and there will be monetary compensation for the time it will take to complete the questionnaires.
- Participants are under no obligation to share any information they do not want to as part of the treatment.
Where does this study take place?
This study will be completely virtual. Screening with the study coordinator will be conducted over telephone, treatment will be carried out within a web-based platform, and weekly meetings with navigators will occur on a secure web-based video platform.
Recruitment is now closed. If you are interested in finding out more information on this study, please contact the study coordinator, Raveena Gowda, by email at email@example.com.